Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Advice! I play defense on a soccer team, any tips on how I could possibly improve?

My coach says I'm doing well, but I always try to do better... Any tips!Advice! I play defense on a soccer team, any tips on how I could possibly improve?
I used to be a defender myself.


In addition to fitness, as a defender, u need to be good in marking, good in the air, and tackling.


There are alot of training techniques that u should go through to improve on those skills.


General tips: Never be afraid of the ball and keep your eyes open when heading the ball. Training would improve your coordination of jumping and heading when clearing those high balls coming in.


When marking, play tough with the striker, never let the striker run behind u and always apply pressure on him while he is trying to receive the ball. Try to time your tackles on the ball and not his feet.


One very important advice is dont be afraid to clear the ball out the field, there is nothing wrong with that, and its better safe than sorry.


One more, is always clear the ball to the sides and not to the middle, as usualy opponent midfielders lurk at the edge of the penalty box waiting for cleared balls for a chance to shoot on goal. Clearing to the sides is safer and gives u a chance to open up the offside trap by clearing the ball and then running forward with your teammates to get all the opponent strikers in the offside





Try watching older players playing and watch their movement and how they locate themselves in set pieces. Watch also how they move while the ball is coming from different locations on the field.





Best of luck to uAdvice! I play defense on a soccer team, any tips on how I could possibly improve?
glad i could be of help, play safe though, injury made me stop..

Report Abuse



Learn to use your left and right feet equally well.





Be sure to communicate well with your goalie.

No comments:

Post a Comment