Saturday, July 31, 2010

Tips/Advice for a beginning rock drummer?? thanks to anyone who answers?

I began drumming about 3 weeks ago, and I have a nice electric drum set and I love to bang around every day for about 2 hours. I am left-handed and play with my left hand hitting the cymbals and my right doing the snare, which is diff I know but it's just how I got started. I was hoping someone could give me some advice on how to play. I got a chance to talk to the Yellowcard drummer, but he just told me to play everyday. I play to songs by Billy Talent, Sum 41, Blink 182 (really hard ugh), Yellowcard etc... and is there any advice or tips you drummers could give me? I reallly love drumming and want to join a band one day.Tips/Advice for a beginning rock drummer?? thanks to anyone who answers?
Hey man, congrats on taking you're first step to being a great drummer... asking questions and not being afraid of asking them either! I'm a left handed drummer too and here's a few tips and hints you should know...





1. Buy a drum pad (or practice pad) if you don't have one already. It can be just as important as the drum kit itself! It can be useful for practicing rudiments and sticking patterns. It's also useful if whoever you're with needs a little break from your drumming if you know what I mean.





2. Be sure to listen and pay attention to whatever you're playing. Therefore you know if what you're playing sounds good or not and to know if your getting the details right. Even getting the smallest details right can make your drumming sound a whole lot more professional!





3. Practice at many different tempos. This will stretch your comfort zone and to recognize that different tempos require different playing approaches.





4. Realize that a good practice session should be both fun and frustrating. Fun because you're playing the drums, and frustrating because you're working on things you can't do as well as other drummers yet.





5. Try to practice every day even if it's for a short while or if it's just on your drum pad!





6. Be Patient! Becoming the drummer you want requires hard work, and drumming skills develop over many years, a lifetime, in fact.Tips/Advice for a beginning rock drummer?? thanks to anyone who answers?
well ok im a ok drummer but heres what got me going what you want is a friend who drums mine was my girlfriend playing by them they can help you out a bit but i recomend you try to play some of these songs first


-punk


fall out boy (not relly) -i dont care


linkin park- what ive done


rage agenst the machine- killing in the name


and thats all for now later on try this


slipknot-the blister exist,psychosocial,before i forget
Use a loose grip and good posture. Practice challenging material that you enjoy. Always keep your hands in motion. Bang your fingers on tables, do something to keep a rhythm. Focus on practicing with consistency instead of length. And have fun with it.
Start with Buddy Rich and start with jazz. Most modern rock songs can be done with one hand and four year olds. Youtube has proof of this. You will go much farther learning jazz drumming than rock.
play fast, practice alot

No comments:

Post a Comment