Saturday, July 31, 2010

First time business traveler (from DFW to Chicago)... Need tips/advice!?

As part of the internship I'm doing this summer, my store is paying for me to attend a conference at the home office in IL. (I'm in the Dallas, TX area). I've flown about a billion times before, so I don't have any worries about the actual flight, but I've never traveled for business before, so I have some questions:





1. What should I wear on the plane?





2. If I want to take my laptop with me, can I still carry-on a small suitcase, or will I have to check it?





3. What's the weather like in Chicago? (I've never been further north than Oklahoma... I really don't know what the weather is like north of here during the summer.)





4. My itenerary says ';limo'; for my transportation from the airport to the hotel. Am I going to be expected to tip the driver?





5. My reservation is at a Hilton Gardens Inn hotel... has anyone ever stayed at one, and if so, what was your impression of it?First time business traveler (from DFW to Chicago)... Need tips/advice!?
1. If you need to go to work directly from the Airport, you have to wear something suitable to the work you do. For example, as a computer engineer, I'd wear my comfortable black pence and comfortable shirt, and the comfortable shoes (not tennis shoes..)


However, if you fly an evening before you need to go to work - wear your most comfortable close, doesn't matter what you need to take to work...





2. Carry your laptop in your laptop carry-on bag (do you have one?) I recommend the one with rolling weals. Yes, you can take it on the plane, don't forget to take it out of the bag for screening.





3. In the summer, Chicago is very pleasant. low 80s maybe, sometimes it can go to 90s so be prepared.





4. If the company directly paying the Limo driver, then I wouldn't give a tip, if you are paying and then submitting the receipt for reimbursement, then - tip the driver 5$ and ask to be included in the receipt.





5. I stayed in Hilton Garden Inn several time, it is a very basic simple hotel, no extras, no refrigerator in the rooms, also, where I use to stay there was no breakfast (maybe things changed now) - If Hilton, then I would prefer the Hilton Homewood Suites... (I always ask our company travel department to book a hotel with a refrigerator, you can't go wrong with those kinds...)First time business traveler (from DFW to Chicago)... Need tips/advice!?
I have never traveled for buiness but I can tell you what to expect.





2. You are usully allowed 2 carry on items so yes you can bring a laptop and small suitcase on board. Check with your airline first.





3. If your coming in summer then tempatures range from about 80 to 100 degrees, thunderstorms are common along with the ocasional threat of a tornado. If your heading by the lakefront it should be a bit cooler but you probably won't need a jacket.





4. I took a limo once, you should probably tip.





5. The Hilton Garden Inns around chicago are nice they have room service and restauraunts.





Good Luck
I don't know the answers to all of these, but here's some :)





1. When I travel on business, I wear the same as I would when I travel any other time: something comfortable and fairly casual, but not *too* casual. Jeans and a t shirt are fine if that's what you are comfortable wearing. If you are going straight into a meeting after the flight, dress accordingly.





2. Last time I flew in the US (which was last week) we were allowed one carry on luggage plus one ';personal item'; like a laptop, so it should be fine.





4. I would assume so.





Hope that helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment