Thursday, August 19, 2010

Anxiety and depression - tips, advice, stories. Any help appreciated.?

Hello.


This is a bit of a long one.


I was diagnosed with GAD (Generalised Anxiety Disorder) in November 2006. My most obvious symptSince then I have tried NHS counselling, which I found symptom was excessive crying and an extreme emotional response to general everyday problems and extreme feelings of guilt. Other symptoms I have had on and off along with this main issue is fatigue, problems concentrating, panic attacks, depression, mood swings, helplessness, low self esteem, nervousness and anti-social feelings, such as not wanting to speak to anyone or go anywhere.





I know this description is all a bit clinical but I'm not very good at discussing my feelings and I find it a lot easier defining them in this way so if you need anymore info just ask and I'll do my best to add my answers to this question in a less 'robot-like' fashion :)Anxiety and depression - tips, advice, stories. Any help appreciated.?
Physical exercise is a wonderful deterrent to anxiety and depression. Take walks, but really concentrate on the beauty that is all around you. Start taking yoga -- wonderful therapy for your body and soul. Deep breathing exercises --- really use your diaphragm. Take 20 mins out of every day to have your ';calm'; moment -- listen to soft, calming music and empty your mind. Do more for others rather than concentrating on your own situation.





Now, really try to talk to a professional. They are trained (which your family and friends probably aren't) to see below the surface of what you are saying and experiencing. Plus, they don't go around talking about what you said, or to pass judgment on you.





Good luck, sweetheartAnxiety and depression - tips, advice, stories. Any help appreciated.?
There is a respiratory I caught virus that caused me all these symptoms: depression, anxiety, chronic fatigue, loss of motivation (anhedonia), loss of desire to socialize and meet people.





See here: http://chronicsorethroat.wordpress.com/

Report Abuse



placebo has been proven to work very well on anxiety and depression but the trouble is you have to actually believe it will work. the mind is powerful start to actually believe you are getting better and chances are you will
I know some people don't like to take meds, but sometimes, therapy isn't always enough, I take Effexor XR, for depression and OCD but it is also used for GAD, I hate to be a guinea pig too, but I love this stuff.
excercice and coping skills
Hi Picaroon, can I just ask you to have a look at an answer I posted to Holly B.


The situation is slightly similar. Please read my ans weer right through, and the same comments apply to you, to some extent as her. You will be able to pick out the ones I mean, and the same offer is there as well.


Good luck, mike t.
Hi I have suffered very similar symptoms to you for a long time, I would recommend execise I joined a jive dance club and it lifted my mood and helped me relax, this in turn stopped the panic attacks. I drink fruit smoothies once a day and take vitamins. Long bike rides also help. And another good tip is join facebook I made new friends and when i'm feeling down I go and chat. Good luck your not alone!!!
Wow that was along one :)


Ok. I suffer from depression and anxiety and have done for years. Mine is more depression than anxiety based but i also get a lot of the symptoms you described.


I too tried medication and found that i got horrible side effects. You have only tried a couple of medications so it might be worth trying another to see how that works for you. It is not a failure to take medication. These pills are just a way of levelling your mood out until you can sort your problems out using other methods. They get rid of the symptoms but not the causes.


I would suggest that you speak to a psychiatrist (if you don't have one your doctor will refer you) and ask about different therapys available to you. I know you said you don't like the idea of talking to a stranger about your innermost secrets (and neither do i) but a good therapist should give you time to build up a relationship with them and to feel comfortable. It is very important to feel comfortable with a therapist or counsellor, otherwse it won't work.


You may have to try lots of different therapies but you will get there eventually. At very east it will be worth finding a therapist/counsellor that can teach you breathing/relaxation techniques which will help with panic attacks and nervousness. They really do work (you have to practice regularly). Thye helped me.


Thats all i can think of really. Hope this helps :)

No comments:

Post a Comment