Saturday, August 21, 2010

Internal Position Dilemma, tips, advice?

Here's the background. So, I've been trying really hard to bond with my two co-workers as we are in a team work environment. I even went to my manager and requested a change in my hours to math their hours to help eleviate the distance. After a month, I don't think it is working and we just see everything very differently 90% of the time. I feel frusrated and shut out on projects ect. I saw a posting for a position within my company that would be in a different dept. and could lead to growth down the line. My company is on a limited hiring situation and I thought to help ease the pain of losing me in my dept. I could offer my manager a deal that I would keep the majority of my current role and take on the new one as well. My manager did not like the idea and said I can't be spared in any capacity even though she aknowledged it was a good idea and would be a good opportunity for me. I'm really frustrated and upset now. I feel this is selfish and keeping me in a box. I'm now worried I'll never be able to grow without leaving the company. Any advice, tips, thought? Can a manger legally deny an internal application request simply based on need in a current dept?Internal Position Dilemma, tips, advice?
How much a particular manager can do depends on the company. They can play hardball between departments and make things difficult. I've heard of one department telling HR that the person can not be replaced and that their leaving would leave them in horrible circumstances. All it did was make a very unhappy employee who did eventually leave the company. Department managers would rather not cause ill will with another department (especially if they have to work together) over an employee when they could fill the position with someone else.





Next time I would just begin the transfer process without alerting my current supervisor until it was necessary, HR departments know what can happen and will usually not inform a supervisor until it's necessary. You don't want your boss to retaliate, especially if you are not offered the new position. Then you're stuck with an upset supervisor and no new prospect.Internal Position Dilemma, tips, advice?
Job applications are always gruelling - how should you fill them in? Should you follow them up when there is no answer? I guess there's no true solution but the site in the box below has some great tips about this. It really helped me when I was filling out job applications recently, plus they have other help on job hunting.

No comments:

Post a Comment