Monday, August 23, 2010

Egypt travel tips and advice?

i am planning to travel to egypt in jan/feb and need some tips.general advice.





- what are the ';must see'; places and things?


- what will the weather be like at this time of year?


- what is the safest and most economic way of travelling between cities? (i don't like flying)





anything else......Egypt travel tips and advice?
+ This depends. What are you interested in? Do you like to relax on the beach or learn about interesting history? And, where in Egypt are you going?





The most popular tourist attraction is definitely the Pyramids of Giza. It's fun to go there; they have camels that you ride around the pyramids, and they have a light show at night where it tells the story of the pyramids. The languages I recall for this is Arabic (of course), English, Japanese, Chinese, French... however, this is from when I visited the pyramids, which was years ago. They might have added other languages.





Good places that people usually go is Cairo, Abu Simbel, Karnak Temples, Luxor Temple, Siwa Oasis, Nubian Museum of Aswan, Valley of the Kings, and Alexandria. If you don't know what some of these are, I added links in the source so that you could look them up.





Me, personally, I haven't gone to many of these sights; I don't consider myself a tourist because I go to Egypt so much, mainly just to visit family and friends. But these sights listed above are very touristy, and many people find it interesting. It has a lot to do with Ancient Egypt, which I find very interesting myself.





However, my absolute favorite place to go in Egypt is Sharm El Sheikh. It is a city that is situated on the southern tip of the Sinai Peninsula, in South Sinai Governorate, Egypt, on the coastal strip between the Red Sea and Mount Sinai. Sharm is absolutely beautiful; if you find a nice hotel along the Red Sea, you will have a great time. Diving and snorkeling is the best thing to do there; the fish are very beautiful and exotic. Also, the night life is quite interesting. My parents usually go to a lot of clubs during the night, and concerts, etc. Don't worry over there about the language; most people speak English down there. Expect a lot of Italians, Russians, and Polish people. Europeans LOVE Sharm El Sheikh.





Here's a link if you want to learn more about Sharm: http://tiny.cc/sharmelsheikh





+ I cannot tell you from experience, because I go to Egypt during the summer time only, but apparently the weather in January and February is pretty sunny and nice outside. It's not too hot, but it's definitely not cold. I would say it would be like the spring time for us. During the nights, it gets colder at that time. It also depends on the area where you are in with the climate. My father tells me that this is the most perfect time to go to the beach in Egypt. If you want to elaborate on this, I found a website that will definitely help you: http://tiny.cc/weatherinegypt





+ I know that you don't like flying, but driving in Egypt is TORTURE. TRUST ME. When I was younger, I was driving between cities with my family, and the driving is so unstructured and terrible. My dad honked at some guy in the car because he was acting completely insane on the road, and this crazy guy just got out of the car, jumped on the car's hood, and punched on the windshield and completely broke it. I swear, this guy would have jumped through the freakin' car if my father didn't move the car a bit. We were driving through a slum, though; it ultimately depends on the areas you drive through, so don't focus on this whole crazy windshield story too much. But flying is much easier, and much shorter. Just get a really cheap plane between cities, and flights might take approximately one hour. That is really the best way. I would not recommend buses or anything, but maybe you want to research about trains. I don't know much about them, and I do not know if they are common. That could be your best option, however, I would not know; from my experience, I would say flying. **AVOID DRIVING, AT ALL COSTS!!





+Tips


- I just want to warn you, driving is torture. My dad grew up in Egypt and all, but the driving is so unbearable for him that he now hires a driver every time we go to Egypt. I don't know what you wanna do about it, but I just want to warn you about that.


- Egypt Air. Try your best to avoid this airline. It is very common for people to bring a bunch of loud annoying kids. It will drive you nuts; I would recommend, if you can, going on Egypt Air first class or business class. If you go on first or business class, it is an enjoyable flight. However, economy is to be avoided at all costs.


- If you need to, get a translator. I don't know whether or not you would have a problem with communication, because it ultimately depends on where you go. You would not have a problem at very touristy places, but if you tend to go somewhere where it usually includes locals, communication might end up becoming troublesome. You will wanna do your homework when it comes to this.


- Keep in mind that there are a few conservative areas maybe here and there. Again, do your homework; if you know that where your going is a conservative area, try not to wear shorts too short or anything skimpy. I'm not making assumptions, but I'm just letting you know. However, this shouldn't really be a problem. Just be aware.


- Depending on what city you are in, night life can be a blast! There are a lot of restaurants on boats, and nice dance clubs. My parents love this. My family is in Maadi, which is right near Cairo, so we are very close to nice restaurants along the Nile, so take advantage of this! Restaurants are usually outside,some along the river; the settings are different than what you would normally find in America. It's interesting. Take note of this and look for nice restaurants in your targeted area.





*Overall, Egypt is a lot of fun; I love it and I enjoy going there. However, Egypt is not perfect and you need to plan certain things before you go. If you do your homework, you will have a blast!





I hope you have fun. Egypt is very interesting, and you should be looking forward to going :)Egypt travel tips and advice?
The must see:


- In Cairo, the pyramids of Giza, the Egyptian museum, Sakkara, The sound and light show at the Sphinx and a boat cruise with dinner, show and music.


- A Nile cruise between Luxor and Aswan. This includes touring the 2 cities and the temples between them.


- If you want to relax and have fun at the same time, then Sharm el Sheikh is ideal, you can enjoy see activities too.





The weather is the best at that time, sunny and warm at day time, a bit cooler in the evening. The weather is dry and pleasant.





Flying is faster and very safe. Then comes travelling by bus.
-Must see:


*Tourism sites (pyramids , museums .. etc in Cairo , luxor and aswan (and its a long distance between them .. use the train (and always 1st class) to get there.)


*religious tour : (coptic cairo if you are christian , el qal3a and the old mosques if you are muslim)


*nile tour .





-weather : would be cold.. not as cold as over there but still , cold! the more you get south the warmer it gets .. but not that warm too.





-safest way: Train.
my roommate went there last year and she says


must see


pyramids in cairo


alexandria


luxor and aswan





she didnt go in jan/feb but she went in december and it was warm enough to get by with just a sweater she says.





you could take a bus from city to city but it's going to be a longggg ride.
1. pyramids, sphinx, beaches


2. like spring or fall weather in America or maybe warmer


3. train





sorry for the vague answer :/
nile cruise


the pyramids


go to Sharm el sheik its amazing there!


i hate flying too but unless you want to take a cruise there which is hard to find i cant help you there.


Hope I help!

No comments:

Post a Comment