Monday, August 23, 2010

Study advice/tips/tricks/etc?

I just want to make it clear that I am not in formal schooling (so basically what I am saying is I dont want 10 replies telling me to listen and take notes). I am seeking advice for self-studying. It's you, the book, and the test. What are some effective techniques you use to help yourself study and retain infrmation. The subject matter is not vocabulary, essay writing,etc (so please none of those replies either) it is just plain information that needs to be memorized/retained. Thanks for the help!Study advice/tips/tricks/etc?
I don't know about you, but I am easily distracted. The best place for me to study was a garage in my stepdads place. There was not much to look at, no tv, the sounds from outside were dampened and nobody walked around in there. I think the best environment for studying is a place where you can concentrate with little distraction. Sometimes, you can read something, but you are not concentrating, so you're not really learning it.





As far as the technique goes, I used to read it through once quickly, then go back and do the highlighting. After that, give yourself a good break, relax, maybe even play some video games. The next day, go back and read the notes or the hightlighted parts and see how much is familiar and retained. If there is anything that is not completely familiar, read that paragraph again.Study advice/tips/tricks/etc?
read it over, then cover the book and try to say the same facts again. then check. if it's wrong try doing it again and again until you can remember the facts at the back of your head.
if you need to remeber words or objects or events in a particular order, make up a silly rhyme or phrase using the first letters of each word you need to memorize:





To memorize these 10 colours in order: [black, brown, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, violet, gray, white], make up a phase that is silly, where each word starts with the same letter, like this: [better buy rusty old yucky golfs because volkswagens guzzle whisky]





Another method I use is to try to grasp the concept behind the information, rather than simply memorize a formula or whatnot.





Lastly, you can try teaching or relaying the information to someone else - this will keep you on your toes!
  • help blackheads
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment