Saturday, August 21, 2010

Need Some Training Tips/Advice?

I have a 12 yr old Yellow Lab mix. She was rescued from a shelter about 8 months ago. She had a neglected past. Here are my training questions: 1. My dog follows us around constantly and we believe it is anxiety, any advice? 2. My dog barks and whimpers when theres another dog around that she can't meet, we think she is defending herself, any advice?





pls help


thanks


amanda sNeed Some Training Tips/Advice?
Well, she may have a little anxiety.. Is it only the following around or is she wimpering or crying when you're not around or leave her outside?? Because she's following you around doesnt mean that she has anxiety, but if she does start wimpering and crying when she cant be near you, that's separation anxiety and the only way of getting through that is ignoring!! ignore ignore ignore! Much different to neglect btw lol. I find that my dog learnt the best through me ignoring things that he did which i dissaproved of (considering that most things dogs do are for attention) and rewarding him with attention like patting and playing when he did something good or respectful. I dont mean to bag the answer above (sorry for the disrespect by the way to the user above) but by the looks of it his dogs following him around going from room to room jumping on his bed shows a lack of respect from dog to owner which is something you do not want). Im not a dog trainer but a very good dog behaviourilist helped me in teaching my dog to respect and it's worked like a charm -- sorry about the rant but if you want some help drop me an email and i can give you some good methods if i know how and have tried them myself.


About the wimpering when another dog is around, it might just mean she wants to play.. you'll never know until you let her meet another dog. Hope i've helped! dont listen to all that bull about not being able to teach an old dog new tricks aswell!! Was very good of you to take in a dog that age by the way!! Im sure she'll love the remainder of her years with you





Good luck!Need Some Training Tips/Advice?
she follows u around because she wants ur company and could be afraid that she will be left alone.most dogs can smell another one for quite a distance and wants to go sniff them out so it is normal for her to whine and bark at them so they will notice her. she might be looking for other dogs company.its pretty good of u for taking her in at her age and i think she is happy with her new family and wants to make sure she stays part of it by being with u at all times.i have raised my dogs since they were pups and the 4 yr old border collie,the 1 yr poochi and 7 yr husky are never out of my sight,they follow me room to room and hog my bed so they love to be with me all the time and they do the same when there are other dogs outside by moaning and barking for thier attention.
Just as human language is multifaceted and multipurpose, barking allows a dog to communicate many different messages in a variety of situations. It can signal a request to an owner (';Hey, I want to go outside!';), impart a warning (';You're in my territory!';), or simply serve to amuse when a dog has little else to do.





An instinctive canine behavior, a bark now and then reminds you that your dog is still very much a dog. However, constant barking can be disruptive, if not downright nerve-racking. Fortunately, there are ways to prevent or curb problem barking.





Here's how to treat this kind of behavior http://dogtime.com/barking.html

No comments:

Post a Comment