Monday, August 23, 2010

Lonely Guy Needs Tips/Advice?

All right so here's my deal: I'm 24, a guy, about six months post-undergraduate career, working my first full-time gig, and, well, I'm a bit lonely. I was a nose-to-the-grind 4.0 student in college, so my social life was extremely limited; it didn't help that, for economic reasons, I lived with my parents, off campus, and to be terse, they were constantly in need of my physical presence/assistance. And I'll readily admit, although I was raised to be extremely mannerly, polite, and courteous to others, I wasn't raised to be highly sociaI. know, excuses, excuses - point is, I can't honestly say that I have any friends with whom I can just call up and do things. I'm a young guy, finally pretty much on my own, getting my social life in order for the.. first.. time.





Here's the kicker: I do not/will not drink. I have a very unappealing family history (we're talking generations) in a number of ways, and alcohol factors largely into it, and thus alcohol will never be a part of my life, period, semi-colon, exclamation point.





That said, my question is, as a 24 year-old non-drinker, does anybody have any suggestions with regard to where/how I can meet people at/around the same age, and become integrated into some sort of social collective, with real friends? Please keep in mind, I'm not a prude. I'd go to bars, but I'd feel awkward as ';the-guy-who-sits-there-and-doesn't-drin鈥?Would this be weird? Another problem is that, when I'm out and about, most nightlife people travel in packs, and although I feel a bit of swagger strutting around as a lone wolf, I always feel awkward approaching strangers for conversation when I'm just sort of a free-floating singularity. Should I feel as awkward as I do?





Keep in mind, I'm not depressed, or unhappy, or anything like that: in fact I feel like one of the luckiest guys on the planet in many ways. Lots of people tell me I'm good-looking, I have a number of talents and interests that I love to do, and am fortunate enough to do fairly well; I love to exercise, I live a very healthful lifestyle, and I do really like just being around people.





I'm starting to get involved with volunteer activities, so I think this may be a start. I'm doing Match.com, and am having some success, but it's so frigging tedious, especially when you and Miss X or Miss Y are so busy that you email each other, say, twice a week. Does anybody have suggestions? Thanks...Lonely Guy Needs Tips/Advice?
Forget internet dating. It rarely works for the long term. That is if you can even get a short term out of an internet girl. It just isn't reliable. It sounds like you are on the right path. As an adult, your social groups normally consist of co-workers. You start to grow apart from your high school and college friends eventually. Volunteer work is a good place to meet others as well as church (if you're into that sort of thing), gyms, and work. Just be you. When you meet some people, be the first to invite a group to your home for a small BBQ. It may be a hit and someone else may host next time. You'll find a couple buddies who would like to hang out.


Lastly, I do not drink or smoke. But I feel completely comfortable hanging out at the bar playing pool or throwing darts drinking a coke. My buddies know me and understand that I also have a family history of alcohol abuse. They respect that. But yes, there are also times where they tease me in good fun to try and get me to drink. I just give them a smile and joke back with them, but will never pick up a drink. Don't take things to seriously. If you get uncomfortable with your social setting, then that is on you. If you get offended if someone offers you a drink, then that is on you to. Learn how to lighten up and just be you.Lonely Guy Needs Tips/Advice?
just write a book
you didnt have any friends when u were a kid?


u just need to get invovled with other ppl even if its weird at first, it wont last long if u hang with the right kind of ppl.


idk how else to help u though, sorry
  • make up
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment